To up your chances of living a long, happy life, having a bunch of fair weather buddies won’t do the trick. You need a diverse, well rounded entourage that will stick with you through thick and thin. The following eight types of friends are just what you need to keep the doctor away.
1. A Loyal Best Friend.
Sometimes a loyal best friend is the only thing you need to stay sane. Everyone needs a non-judgmental friend who will support them no matter what. This is the kind of friend who lets you be a hot mess and knows all of your deepest and darkest secrets, but still loves you all the same.
2. A Fearless Adventurer. We live in a big world where there are so many places to see, people to meet, and experiences to be had, yet so many of us are stuck in our own routines and forget to, well, live. We all need an adventurous friend who will pull us out of our shells and introduce us to new ideas, cultures, philosophies, and activities.
3. A Brutally Honest Confidant. There’s certain situations in life where we need to hear the harsh truth. That’s what the brutally honest confidant is for. If you’re in a rocky relationship and everyone’s telling you that it’s perfectly normal that you’re back with that special someone for the 8th time in the last 2 years, the brutally honest confidant is there to yank your rose-colored glasses off and tell you, Enough. Stop with all that break-up and get back together drama. You deserve better. Friends are supposed to be honest with each other. If you find someone who is brutally honest with you , then hold on to this person. People like that are hard to come by these days.
4. A Wise Mentor.
If you have someone smart, inspiring, and admirable in your life who practices this philosophy, you’re extremely lucky. We all need a friend who inspires us to be better people without making us feel inadequate. Plus, being around such a person will challenge us to better ourselves every day.
The wise mentor in your life doesn’t have to be someone who shares the same occupation or hobbies with you. It’s simply someone who’s a few steps ahead of you in life and has enough wisdom and patience to guide you in the right direction. It can be anyone a colleague, a friend who’s beyond their years, or an older neighbor as long as you look up to this person and want to be more like them.
5. A Friend From a Different Culture. The last thing you want to be described as is someone who’s stuck in their own ways. If everyone had a friend from a different culture, the world would be a much better place. Being in a cross-cultural friendship allows you to explore customs, values, and traditions outside of your own culture. Sometimes you might even adopt new ways to do things.
Be careful; don’t befriend someone just because they’re from a different culture. No one likes to be a token friend. Instead, keep your mind open, and if you come across someone you click with who just so happens to be from a different culture, make the effort to learn about their customs, values, and traditions while getting to know the person on a personal level.
6. A Polar Opposite. We humans are hard-wired to get together in groups and attack outsiders the human pack mentality, if you will. If you only develop friendships with others who follow the same beliefs, customs, and values as you do, chances are you’re somewhat detached from the rest of the world, and you’re more likely to perpetuate stereotypes on anyone who holds a different world view from you.
Instead of constantly surrounding yourself with like-minded people, try to break out of your comfort zone and befriend people who hold opposing views. They will help open your eyes to different world views and you’ll learn to accept people who don’t see the world exactly the way you see it.
7. A Friendly Neighbor. These days, a lot of people don’t know their own neighbors. It’s a shame, because some neighbors can be the nicest and most helpful people ever. If you’re on a vacation, and you suddenly realize that you forgot to lock the front door, you can call up your trusty ol’ neighbor and ask them to head over to your house and lock it for you. Nice dependable neighbors who have each other’s backs are a dying breed, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t introduce yourself to the new neighbors across the street!
8. A Work Pal.
Did you know that with a full-time job, you spend at least 50% of your waking hours at work? Not only that, but you spend some more time commuting to work, thinking about work, working overtime, and furthering your career on your personal time. Depressing, isn’t it?
Statistics show that the more isolated you are at work, the more depressed you get. That’s why it makes sense to get a work pal to chat with at the water cooler and to help you get through the week. You spend 50% of your waking hours at work, and so does your work pal. You’ll find it much easier to shoot the breeze and complain about work with someone who can relate to you than eating lunch alone every day.
Entertainment & Celebrities3 weeks ago
“Being A Virgin At 25 Is Not A Flex, It’s Embarrassing” – Maliya Michael (Video)
Entertainment & Celebrities2 weeks ago
Obi Cubana Calls For Prayers, Pens Down Touching Post To Celebrate Davido’s Birthday
Health & Lifestyle2 weeks ago
Here’s The Reasons Why You Need To Have A Bottle Of Eucalyptus Oil
Metro2 weeks ago
Is This Witchcraft? See What Happened to This Man After He Stole a Plasma TV in Limpopo.
Entertainment & Celebrities1 week ago
Video: Fans gush over video of Davido and Chioma dancing together at private party following Ademola’s inauguration
Metro1 week ago
Osama Bin Laden’s son says dad tested weapons on pets and made him fire AK47s
Health & Lifestyle7 days ago
This Is Everything You Need To Know When You Notice Saliva On Your Pillow After Sleeping
Entertainment2 days ago
Don’t Open These Photos If You Can Not Control Yourself