Connect with us

In The News

Federal Government Reveals That Abuja-Kaduna Train Services To Resume Soon

Published

on

Federal Government Reveals That Abuja-Kaduna Train Services To Resume Soon:  The Minister of Transportation, Mu’azu Sambo, disclosed this while briefing journalists in Abuja.

 

The Abuja-Kaduna train services will commence operations ‘soon’, the Federal Ministry of Transportation confirmed on Friday.

The Minister of Transportation, Mu’azu Sambo, disclosed this while briefing journalists in Abuja.

This is coming barely 48 hours after the 23 remaining victims were released by the terrorists.

The terrorists had attacked Abuja-Kaduna train passengers on March 28, 2022, kidnapping 168 passengers and killing eight passengers.

The release of the victims has been in batches since then, with the last 23 being the last to be released.

Reacting to previous questions as to when the train services would resume operations, the minister said it would have been so insensitive to resume operations knowing full well that both the victims and their relatives were going through trauma.

Sambo said in order to resume train services, certain security measures had to be put in place to forestall recurrence, noting that these measures included long- and short-term plans.

The minister insisted that no ransom was paid to secure the release of the victims, noting that the government would not support the payment of ransoms.

However, there is a committee made up of some retired generals and public officers of high-ranking status who supported the security agencies throughout the process of securing the release of the victims, he said.

“Categorically, this government does not support ransom payment. No kobo was paid to secure the release of the 23 remaining victims and other ones as well.”

Speaking further, Sambo noted that victims were supposed to be in Abuja today, precisely at the Ministry of Transportation, but they were going to hospitals  ensure that they were in good health condition.

Also speaking, the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry, Magdalene Ajani, said all released victims had access to health care services, including post trauma care, to ensure adequate rehabilitation.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending

%d bloggers like this: